Thursday, March 8, 2012

Celebratory Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Surprise Vanila Cupcakes

I didn't mean to give them a name as long as that but it fits. :)


Today was the day the top med schools released their results for the SY 2012-2013. I saw my name on the list of both schools I applied for. Hence, I was in a celebratory mood and (since I have nothing better to do) I thought of baking again. Teehee. I have grown quite fond of the blog Glorious Treats, the first and only blog I follow since I joined. She regularly updates her blog, posts the most how-come-I-didnt-think-of-that things and backs it up with gorgeous photos. I came across her recipe for Perfect Vanila Cupcakes that she has discovered after multiple trials of different vanilla recipes, manipulating various components. So, I tried to test her credibility by making them myself. They didn't turn out looking as perfect as hers, probably because I ran out of oil and used an approximate amount of vegetable shortening, but it tasted as fantastic as it said it would.
I then experimented by deciding to place a cookie dough center on some of them. I did this by whipping up a batch of cookie dough, forming them into small balls, freezing them for at least 3 hours, and placing them on the center of the cupcake. After a few trials, I realized that the most effective way of having an intact cookie dough center, is by placing the balls in the middle of partially cooked cupcakes (around 8 mins of baking) instead of before. This is because the frozen cookie dough quickly melts and incorporates into the cupcake batter when placed before baking, leaving you with a gooey and liquid-y mess. 
Chocolate chip Cookie Dough Recipe
3/4 cup All purpose flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1/8 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 small egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Directions:
1)Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside
2) In a separate bowl, mix together butter and sugars. Beat till smooth
3) Mix in the egg and vanilla.
4) Slowly add the flour mixture.
5) Add in the chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
6) Form the batter into balls and place inside the freezer. 


I frosted my cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese frosting, garnished with Nonpareils. I also switched them around so nobody would know which ones had the chocolate chip cookie dough center. It's more fun that way! ;) 




And true enough, they were as good as they look. I'll definitely make some of these again in the future. :)
-B

No comments:

Post a Comment